Ferrari's Felipe Massa showed little after effects of the frightening accident at the Hungarian Grand Prix that almost ended his career last season by putting up the best time on Formula One's first day of pre-season testing at Valencia in Spain.
Massa was struck in the helmet by a spring that fell off Rubens Barrichello's Brawn in qualifying and narrowly missed being killed. He needed the rest of 2009 tyo recover from the incident.
His time of 1 minute 12.574 seconds was two-tenths better than veteran Pedro de la Rosa who returns to a race seat with Sauber after serving as a test and reserve driver from McLaren for several years.
Michael Schumacher didn't take long to shake off the rust, finishing the day with the thrid best time, about four-tenths back of Massa. Significantly, Schumacher was almost six-tenths quicker than new teammate Nico Rosberg.
1. Massa Ferrari 1:12.574 102 laps
2. de la Rosa Sauber 1:12.784 +0.210 74 laps
3. Schumacher Mercedes 1:12.947 +0.373 40 laps
4. Rosberg Mercedes 1:13.543 +0.969 39 laps
5. Paffett McLaren-Mercedes 1:13.846 +1.272 86 laps
6. Barrichello Williams 1:14.449 +1.875 75 laps
7. Buemi Toro Rosso 1:14.762 +2.188 18 laps
8. Kubica Renault 1:15.000 +2.426 69 laps
NASCAR Canadian Tire Series revs into high gear - BOWMANVILLE, Ontario (May 8, 2012) – On Sunday, May 20 the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series (NCATS) kicks-off the race season at the new Canadian Tire Motorspor...
5 years ago